Sunday, September 27, 2026

Spark In The Dark… Again!!

Not a very heavy update this one I’m afraid, lots been going on but I just haven’t been photographing or logging the progress really, it’s all very repetitive and a tad tedious. I genuinely enjoy wiring normally but to be honest it’s kicking my ass this time and I’ve really struggled with access and keeping everything neat and tidy. Still I can now officially report that I have fully functional side lights, headlights (dip beam, full beam and flash), Horn, Fuel pump, indicators and hazard lights, rear fog light and cooling fan. 

The indicators and hazard lights have been a tad tricky simply because I have integrated an audible buzzer when they are active (its to easy to leave the indicators on if they don’t self cancel) Also I only have the one green dash warning light for both left and right, so I have needed to wire in diodes to stop the back flow of current through the light and illuminating the other side indicators also. This combined with a toggle switch hazard light (which also has a independent light) all running off two separate flasher relays has all been really sketchy to get working correctly… however it’s done now…. Phew. The main circuit that has been the challenge to get working correctly really, I have gone totally off piste in regards to the original spitfire setup and fuse configuration however the main bulk of this is now done. This is all a custom homemade loom remember, nothing is really the same as on the Spitfire other than the column switch and starter solenoid.

I still have lots to do with the electrics, I haven’t started the charging circuit yet or any of the gauge functionality or the distributer ignition bits… but that should be fairly straightforward now that I have some basic loom and fuses to work from. You can see here a picture of the two fuses boxes and some of the relays. One fuse box is permanent live, for safety circuits like hazards, cooling fan, flash beam side lights etc… and the second is the ignition live for everything else. I’m desperately trying to keep all this neat and tidy but I’m finding it a real struggle with the limited space I have to work in. 





I’m also glad to say that I have completed my rear custom number plate light and combined fog light. I have been messing about with this idea for a while now. The first attempt I wasn’t 100% happy with as I was getting lots of light bleed through the red lens when the number plate light was on. Now with a few revisions it’s 100% functional and working well. This time I have cut a clear section of the lenses off and bonded it into the housing where I have cut the two sections for the light to project. I then have cut out the original main bulb holder from the unit and when flipped round and bonded onto a second unit (back to back) it creates a single unit with no light bleeding through. 




Once I had the main body constructed I fitted a slim line led bulb so that it would light up the rear number plate when the side lights are activated and the whole unit will be weather tight and functional with a separate feed for the fog light. The overall aesthetic will look great on the rear of the car, as the other two rear lights are the same style units (Lucas 691) but are obviously twin filament one for side lights and second for brake lights. I have used some old inner tube rubber cut to size to seal between the two chrome housings and another between the rear housing and l number plate bracket. I constructed the bracket from metal out the scrap bin at work, all cut to size and a small double bend to push the light unit forward of the number plate slightly to give a better illumination. I’m exceptionally happy with this bit now it looks fantastic and is working perfectly… and also adds a bit of unique styling to the car which no one else will have done before…. Until someone copies my idea.

I’ll be spending the next few weeks tidying up some bits of the loom and keeping everything neat and tidy before I make a start on anything new. I need to continue with my exhaust tail piece which is another custom made part I’m really please with how it’s turning out so far so keep you eyes peeled for further updates about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment