Sunday, October 1, 2023

Bulkhead Ballache!

I’ve been making some progress with the front bulkhead over the past week or so. Mick had sent me some scale templates for the steel bulkhead which needed to be cut to shape and fitted to the body tub. I was concerned about going just straight for the cutting without checking all measurements and fitting first. It’s not possible to tell from the paper template how good the fit will be, and each body tub will be slightly different in terms of resin thickness. So I opted to make a scale template out of hardboard first as this would be rigid enough to mock into position and relatively quick and easy to cut. 

I started each faced section separately and simply held together with masking tape which allowed to fold for each section different angle. Then just systematically working my way through each bit, until I had a full template of exactly fitting bulkhead that could be used to mark the bent sheet steel and then cut with a little more confidence. This turned out to be a tad tedious however it was essential to get a good fit, and with hindsight was a really good idea. The paper templates were close, but I have made many many alterations to taylor fit my body. 
 Attention to detail was also needed here as to how the fitting was going to be finished. I opted for nice button headed socket caps which will be spaced equally around top section, with a panel bond on the side sections and bolted onto the lower chassis outriggers.

The bulkhead will really firm up the body flex when fitted and it will be on and off the chassis many more times before the final fit. Mick should inform people in the manual that this is a ballache of a task to complete, with many many trial fits and adjustment needed before I was anywhere near happy, and I’ll be honest it was not really a very enjoyable task….but I’ve broken its back now (and mine also) so it’s definitely all getting pushed along stage by stage. 



One problem I had potential envisaged was the ability to remove the gearbox at a later date and not being able to slide it back from the engine because of the bulkhead. So I opened the bell housing area of the bulkhead wide enough so that I can slide freely through the bulkhead which will allow access to the bell housing bolts etc… 
I spent a great deal of time cutting and trimming the steel and further time again with a flap wheel smoothing off the edges and tidying up all the cuts. I have decided that I will be painting the bulkhead for the final finish, but I still have many more cuts and holes to drill first for the clutch master cylinder, break master cylinder, pedal boxes, accelerator cable, steering column etc… etc…

Another little task to tick off was the front chassis body supports. These will also take the radiator bracket fittings which I’m hoping I will be able to weld on with access through the front nose hole. The two body brackets were manipulated into shape and trimmed accordingly then with the body removed (again) I welded them to the front chassis legs. I had some primer and texture 2k paint left over still from painting the chassis so I set about just lashing on a bit to stop it being exposed to the moisture. I also touched up a few bits of the chassis that have taken a bash during the corse of the build so far. 

Another job ticked off was to fold down the top flange of the offside chassis rail. This is to give a little more room for my feet to fit on the peddles when driving. I noticed this was done on Paul’s car when I saw it, and he said what a massive difference it makes. The build manual also suggests to fold it down to aid comfort when driving, so now was a good time to get it done, and I could also touch up the damage it made to the paint finish at the same time. 

Last task for this update was to drop the body back on the chassis, which I’m getting quite good at now on my own. I’m still miles off a final fit, but a good solid chunk of the front is now sorted. The rear bulkhead I’m using some 2mm sheet steel and I’m hoping with it not being bent, then it should be easier to fit than the front was. I’m opting for steel as I’m going to really try to beef up some solid mounting points for the seat belt harnesses. I want to get similar style harnesses as I used in the Cobra, because they are really comfortable in use and they look totally bad ass with the rotary release clip… I’m still miles of that point yet mind, but it’s all in the plan for the final product. 


The bulkhead looks great fitted with socket cap screw heads equidistant round the top sections. I haven’t secured the bottom lip yet or bonded the sides as the tub will be off and on again a good few times still. The bulkhead sits really close to the back of the engine which surprised me. It’s not a problem, but just not how I had envisaged how it was going to fit. Still plenty of room for movement under throttle if needed and now it’s fitted it opens the door for loads of other jobs I can be getting on with. 

Starting to look like a car now! Wahoo!






No comments:

Post a Comment